Chicago Divorce Lawyers
At Hammer Serna & Quinn, LLC, our Chicago divorce lawyers have the knowledge, legal experience, and resources to protect your rights and interests. If you are preparing for a divorce in Cook County, we are here to help. To request a strictly private case review with a Chicago divorce attorney, please contact our Illinois legal office for immediate help.
What to Know About Divorce Laws in Illinois
Are you preparing to end your marriage in Cook County? It is imperative that you understand how the divorce laws and divorce process work in Illinois. Some of the most important things to know about divorce in Illinois are as follows:
- Divorces are No-Fault in Illinois: The divorce laws in Illinois have been reformed. The state no longer allows for fault-based divorce. All couples that end their marriage in Illinois do so on the no-fault grounds of irreconcilable differences.
- A 90-Day Residency Requirement (File in the Right County): You do not have to have been married in Illinois to get a divorce in the state. That being said, you must meet the state’s residency standard. You can only get a divorce in Illinois if either you or your spouse has been a resident of the state for a minimum of 90 days. You should file for divorce in either spouse’s county of residence. A Chicago resident files for divorce in Cook County.
- Marital Property is Divided in an Equitable Manner: All of a couple’s marital property must be split up in an equitable manner. Illinois defines an equitable distribution as a “fair” distribution. It could be a 50/50 split of the marital assets. However, that is not a requirement of the law. An unequal distribution may be approved by a court.
- Best Interests of the Child for Allocation of Parental Rights: Parents of young children who go through a divorce must work out the allocation of parental rights and parental responsibilities (child custody). Any dispute over parental rights will be resolved with consideration to the best interests of the child.
How Our Chicago Divorce Attorney Can Help
Going through a divorce can be extraordinarily hard. At Hammer Serna & Quinn, LLC, we strive to provide zealous legal representation to clients. When you reach out to our Chicago law office, you will have an opportunity to consult with an Illinois divorce attorney who can:
- Conduct a thorough review and evaluation of your case;
- Answer any questions you have about divorce and/or family law in Illinois;
- Handle of the divorce paperwork;
- Represent you in settlement negotiations; and
- Devise a strategy focused on getting you the best outcome.
Get Help From Our Chicago, IL Divorce Attorney
At Hammer Serna & Quinn, LLC, our Chicago divorce lawyers are zealous, pragmatic advocates for clients. If you or your family member is going through a divorce, we are more than ready to help. Reach out to us by phone or connect with us online to book your confidential initial appointment. We provide divorce representation in Chicago and throughout Cook County.