Northbrook Divorce Lawyer
Laws are always changing, and while it is somewhat easy for spouses to get a divorce if they are amicable toward each other and desire an uncontested divorce, there are still many situations in which hiring a lawyer is the best course of action. Having children can create immense conflict, as can having numerous or complicated assets.
Any divorce is a huge step. It is one of the hardest things a person may ever go through. As such, you want to ensure you have help throughout the process. Divorce can be scary and uncomfortable, as going from married to single is never easy. There is a lot involved, so make sure you find the right lawyer to handle your divorce case.
What to Ask Your Divorce Lawyer
Not all lawyers are created equally. Find the best one for you by knowing what to ask. Here are a few questions to ask divorce lawyers:
- How many cases have you handled outside of court? Ideally, you do not want a lawyer who wants to handle everything in court. That gets expensive very quickly. Find a lawyer who would rather choose mediation or some form of collaborative divorce so you can negotiate and resolve issues outside of court.
- What is your rate? Money is important. You want to know up front how much you will need to pay your lawyer and how you will be billed. What is their hourly rate? Will a retainer fee be required?
- Do you know my spouse or their attorney? Ideally, you want to avoid conflicts of interest. You definitely cannot have your spouse’s attorney represent you as well, but you may want to be wary of someone who is a little too friendly with your spouse or their attorney.
- Are you familiar with the judges? You want a lawyer who understands how the local system works. What are the judges like? How do they typically rule? This is important so your lawyer can plan the right strategy so you get what you want.
- Do you have experience with high-asset divorces? If you have a business or a significant amount of assets, you need someone who can handle such cases properly. These assets are complicated and there is a lot of money at stake, so you need a lawyer who knows what they are doing.
- Are you available outside of appointments? Divorce cases are complicated and you may have questions or issues along the way. When this happens, how will you communicate with your lawyer? Are they available via text, email, or phone? What is your lawyer’s available? Will they respond to your concerns promptly? If so, how is this communication billed?
Contact a Northbrook Divorce Attorney
There are many divorce lawyers near you. It is a good idea to do your research and pick the right one based on experience and personality.
The divorce attorneys at Hammer Serna & Quinn, LLC are highly skilled and ready to help you with negotiating settlements or taking your case to court. Schedule a consultation with our office today by filling out the online form or calling our office.